In addition to our members we were joined this month by representatives from local organisations and guest speakers.

Meeting summary follows:

Polish Voices

Phil Shepherd spoke about this media project, involving The Engine Room and members of the Polish community. It will provide opportunities for host & Polish communities to share ideas & experiences.

  • The Engine Room is looking for volunteers – contact Phil Shepherd if you are interested: phil@somersetfilm.com
  • Agreed to hold next Bridgwater Together event on 2nd October, Engine Room, when Brian Smedley is hosting the visit of a choir from Slovenia.

Youth into Politics

Daisy and Harry spoke about their own experiences and some of the prejudices and obstacles young people are facing today.

  • Agreed to launch a campaign for ‘Votes for 16 year olds’ at the public screening of “In It Together” on 1st October (contact Glen for details: glenburrows@btinternet.com).
  • Agreed to ask for Daisy & Harry to be invited to attend a Bridgwater Trades Union Council meeting. Daisy & Harry to produce a draft leaflet targeting young people, for next meeting

Public Transport

Andy Burton said recent collapse of bus companies illustrates the need for re-regulation of bus services.

  • Agreed we must campaign for better public transport Glen & Brian spoke about the Local Transport Forum, which brings together transport providers, councils and user representatives.
  • Andy Burton and Arthur Cummins to attend next meeting at 4pm on Tuesday 13th September, as representatives of Unite Community.
  • Glen, Andy and Kate to produce draft leaflet on public transport for next meeting.

Universal Credit

  • Agreed to leaflet local job centre.

Bridgwater Forward

Ian Tucker and Nick Gibson spoke about the importance of monitoring the council’s Northgate development. Apart from the school, nothing has yet been decided, but the options being considered are very limited.

  • Agreed to share information and to attend council meetings where possible.
  • Also agreed that we should defend open spaces and recreation facilities.

Next Meeting

Items to be discussed at next month’s meeting on the 13th September:

  • Racist attacks – Trades Council has circulated a leaflet on this subject, which has been well received in the town
  • Energy
  • Housing
  • Town Centre stall
Share This
Skip to toolbar